Monday, March 22, 2010

1 Nephi 10: 15-16

15 And after this manner of language did my father prophesy and speak unto my brethren, and also many more things which I do not write in this book; for I have written as many of them as were expedient for me in mine other book.

16 And all these things, of which I have spoken, were done as my father dwelt in a tent, in the valley of Lemuel.

These are the 2 versus we read this morning for our FSS.

The cross references are very quick in that Nephi refers to the other set of plates that he records things on. I LOVE THIS! I love that even though my husband teases me about the multiple journals that I record things, it doesn't bother me because Nephi and I have this in common.

As I have studied my ancestors and their written histories, I long to read about their day to day activities. Was my heritage shy or strong willed? What did they think about on a daily basis? How I long to know these people and are only given just a small glimpse into who they were.

What if Nephi did that? I am sure he would not have because he was commanded to write things down, but what could have been lost if he was disobedient. One of my favorite scriptures is the end of 2 Nephi where Nephi is giving his last testimony before the plates are handed over to Jacob. What a powerful testimony to read of a great prophet. I feel so inspired when I read it. What if Nephi had never written that testimony? Would it have effected generations of his posterity? Absolutely!

I write and write on multiple plates not only for my posterity, but hopefully for my own spiritual growth. Not only are we commanded to read, but to ponder and meditate the things that we read. Writing it down allows my brain to flow freely. There has to be some kind of growth, right?

The second verse I also love as it refers to Lehi dwelling in a tent. There are multiple times that are referred to Lehi dwelling in the tent. Back then, their tent was a traveling temple. Lehi spent much time with God in the temple that was convient at that time.

Many times I hear the youth giggle when they recite "and my father dwelt in a tent!" as though the scripture has no meaning and easy to memorize.

When I hear it, it is a very bold command to me to GET TO THE TEMPLE a lot!

How cool would it be if in my daughters journal she recorded "and my parents dwelt in the temple and were good people because of it." I think I will follow Lehi's example and do some more dwelling in my tent. Why not? For it is the Lord's house!

No comments:

Post a Comment